3/26/2012

Jack and the Beanstalk

 This week we read the classic book, Jack and the Beanstalk.  Actually, we watched someone else read the book.  I thought it would be a fun change, and there are so many different versions of the book.  Sydney couldn't even be in the same room when the giant was spoken of.  I forget how sensitive little girls are (I remember being that way when I was little).
  After we 'read' the book, we all got a magic bean and talked about how seeds turn into plants/vegetables.
 
We went out to the garden and looked at the different stages of growing plants- seeds that you can't see in the ground, some that are just barely germinating and some that are HUGE (sugar snap peas). 
The kids couldn't believe how tall the peas were.  They loved how they started growing up the next door neighbors tree that leans over into our yard. 
They all got to pick some peas and try them.  Too bad I didn't have any beans growing - oh well, they basically grow the same way, and peas are much better to eat right out the garden anyway.  
After the garden tour the kids stayed outside for playtime.  It's so fun to watch these kids play together.  They've become such good friends.  Don't get me wrong, there are a few tiffs and taddlings going on, but I tell them unless someone is hurt, they have to work it out.  Much to my surprise, they usually can work through it.  Such big kids.  Sad to say my son is the instigator to much of the tiffs - if he acts like he does at my house, at your houses, you have my full permission to spank him! 

 After we came in from snacks and playing, we found the note that the giant wrote to these cute kids.
 
 He walked on our wall, so the kids got to pick a footprint to use for their measurements.

 The kids ran around the house measuring things that were longer, shorter and the same size as the giant's footprint.  They would find something, and then run back to me and I would write it on our list. I think they had fun with this activity.

 Then we took the other pair to each footprint and made "mosaic bean art" - glued beans to the footprint.  Saying that it's mosaic makes it become "real" art, right?. :)
 The masterpieces - Lincoln, Ryder, Sydney and Paige
 More artwork - Evan, Noah, Bronwen and Calli
Of course, Mrs. Doubtfire, the weather lady made a visit to preschool again.  Ask your kids about her; they think she's hilarious and it makes them crazy that I won't admit that it's actually me. :)  I love to ruffle their feathers.  
We have a fun surprise for them on Wednesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment